20 Stupid and Sexist Laws Against Women In America
Throughout its history, various cities and towns in the United States have implemented laws that are detrimental to women's rights at best, and downright kick the entire feminist ideal back into the Middle Ages at worst.
Now some of the sexist laws listed below may no longer be in place, and we're not really sure which ones are still being strictly enforced today, but the fact that they did were put on the books not too long ago should make an American think twice about ranting against some countries, particularly in the Middle East, that don't treat their women all that well. The US, after all, also has its share of unfair laws against women.
1. A woman caught adjusting her stockings in public in either Dennison,Texas or Bristol, Tennessee could get up to 12 months in the state penitentiary.
2. Michigan state law says women have to get their spouses' permission to get their hair done because legally, their wives' hair belong to them.
3. In New Mexico, women are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public. The waxing business must be pretty good there.
4. In Owensboro, Kentucky, buying a new hat without her husband trying it on first is illegal.
5. In Tremonton, Utah, it is illegal to have sex while riding in an ambulance. Fair enough, except for the part where, if caught, only the woman can be charged with a sexual misdemeanor and "her name is to be published in the local newspaper", while her partner won't be charged and will remain anonymous.
6. In Vermont, It is illegal for women to wear false teeth without the written permission of their husbands.
7. It is illegal for women to wear pants in the city of Tucson, Arizona.
8. A special cleaning ordinance was issued in Pennsylvania that bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling. No word on whether this applies to househusbands as well.
9. In Florida, a woman caught catching z's while under a hair dryer in a salon will be subjected to a fine. The same goes for the salon owner as well.
10. Patent-leather shoes are a no-no for women in Cleveland, Ohio, for the reason that the shiny finish of the shoes could help a man catch a reflection of their more private parts, especially when they're wearing skirts.
11. In Memphis, Tennessee, women can't drive a car unless "a man must walk or run in front of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists."
12. In Maryland, a woman may not go through her husband's pockets while he is sleeping.
13. Unless she is married, a woman is prohibited from parachuting on Sunday afternoons. Whatever being married or just being a woman has anything to do with parachuting is beyond anyone.
14. In Missouri, four women may not rent an apartment together.
15. A state law in Illinois dictates that all bachelors should be called master, not mister, when addressed by their female counterparts.
16. It is illegal for a lady to lift her skirt more than six inches while walking through a mud puddle in Michigan.
17. It is against the law in Oklahoma for females to do their own hair without getting a license from the state.
18. In Dyersburg, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to call a man on a date.
19. A woman in Oxford, Ohio is forbidden from taking her clothes off while standing in front of a man's picture.
20. An old (and hopefully repealed by now) law in Little Rock, Arkansas states that a man is legally allowed to beat his wife, but only when he uses a stick that is no more than three inches wide, and only once a month.
Popularity: 2% [?]